Timepieces are a classic staple in anyone’s wardrobe and the right luxury watch can be a treasured heirloom for years to come. If you have been considering purchasing a luxury watch for yourself or to give as a gift for a special occasion, there is no denying that buying second-hand can be an approachable way to enter the luxury watch market.
At Pinto Gold and Jewellery Buyers, we have helped countless customers find treasured luxury timepieces to add to their collection or gift to someone special. We also buy Patek Phillipe, and other luxury watch brands and are experts in the buying and selling of luxury watches. Our customers often ask us how we know a Patek Phillipe is real when both buying and selling. Though we are always here to help you understand the value of your watch in-store, we also want you to feel confident when shopping for a luxury watch. Below, we provide you with our best tips on spotting a fake Patek Phillipe watch and how you can know when what you have is the real deal.
How to Spot a Counterfeit Patek Phillipe
Patek Phillipe watches are coveted items and have been seen on the wrists of royalty like Princess Diana to celebrities such as Brad Pitt. If you are looking to buy a Patek Phillipe watch second hand you’ll want to know how to check if a Patek Phillipe is real or not. Our top tips for checking authenticity are below, though the only way to know for sure is to have its authenticity verified by a professional.
- A real Patek Phillippe watch will have no deformities, it will be without any material faults. The quality will be impeccable.
- You will not see a serial number on the exterior of the watch. Patek Phillipe engraves the serial numbers on the inside of the watch.
- Some models will have “PPC” engraved in the lugs and the cases metal
- Patek Phillipe watches use a specific font type and size, all letters will look sharp, be evening spaced and have no spelling errors
- Original Patek Phillipe watches will have a small diamond set in the middle of the lugs, if there is no diamond or a large diamond, it is likely a fake.
- A Patek Phillipe watch will be heavy as it uses quality metals.
It is important to note that Patek Phillipe watches have never been mass-produced. They are a luxury item and therefore are targeted to be reproduced. Be mindful of where you purchase your watch and try to validate authenticity before purchasing. If a price seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Where Can I Confidently Buy a Patek Phillipe Watch?
Buying a watch directly from Patek Philippe is one way to be certain you are getting an authentic watch but buying second-hand can still be a great option. Be choosy about who you buy from and consider avoiding private sales. The experts at Pinto Gold and Jewellery buyers often have Patek Phillipe watches available, we would be pleased to help you find exactly what you are looking for.